We all understand the importance of passports for travel and the inconvenience of obtaining one. However, it’s equally important to know what steps to take if your passport gets lost or damaged.
Here’s what you should do when faced with a lost or damaged passport:
- If you lose your passport while abroad, immediately report the incident to the nearest police station as well as the passport office or the relevant embassy or consulate of your country.
- Anyone can apply for a “re-issue” of a passport in such situations.
- Ensure that you have all the necessary documents ready to submit along with your application form.
How To apply for a new passport:
- Duplicate passports are not issued. Instead, you will receive a new passport with a different passport number and fresh validity.
- Check the “re-issue” section under the Lost/Damaged passport category.
Steps to follow:
- First things first, file an FIR with the copy of your passports in the nearest police station.
- If you miss the first step, make sure that you book an appointment with the nearest Regional Passport Office (RPO).
- Make sure you have all the documents in place, including proof of address, Aadhar card, and birth certificate.
- Users can also go for an online application process via the official Passport Seva website.
- Log in with your registered ID and, if you are in a hurry, you can opt for the ‘Tatkal’ option too.
- Next, schedule the payment and appointment as per your convenience.
- Do note, lost passports will need a processing fee.
- Rest, the regular process for passport issuance will follow for you to get a new passport.
Trending on TFN